24 hour emergency

01430 873219

Chocolate Poisoning is Very Serious 

Chocolate PoisoningChocolate is one of the most common poisonings to occur in dogs in the uk.

It is the caffeine and theobromine in chocolate that is poisonous to your dog if ingested in enough quantity which can lead to death. Theobromine is a stimulant that affects the nervous system and heart muscle, as well as increasing the frequency of urination. The darker the chocolate the larger amount of theobromine present which will be the most toxic to your dog.

If your dog consumes enough theobromine, the symptoms of poisoning will occur. Initially, the dog will develop abdominal pain and vomiting which may contain blood. The vomit in most cases will contain substantial amounts of chocolate, giving it a very characteristic smell. The dog may be restless, drooling saliva, and could have difficulty standing or walking. Increased thirst is also common.

In the majority of cases, the symptoms occur within a few hours, but it has been known to be delayed for as long as 24 hours. It can take as long as three days for the dog to recover completely. The earlier this is treated the more likely you are to save your dog’s life.

IF YOUR DOG EATS ANY SIGNIFICANT QUANTITY OF COCOA POWDER OR DARK CHOCOLATE CONTACT YOUR VET IMMEDIATELY

DO NOT WAIT FOR SYMPTOMS TO BEGIN!!

Our locations

Map
Market Weighton
Details | Opening | Email
Call 01430 873219
Pocklington
Details | Opening | Email
Call 01759 304977
South Cave
Details | Opening | Email
Call 01430 423492