Lilies, as beautiful as they are can be very harmful to cats. Every part of the lily; the petals, leaves, pollen and even water from the vase can be harmful. The toxins (nephrotoxin, meaning affecting the kidneys) will affect your cat quite quickly, often within two hours of ingestion.
Ingestion is serious but also be mindful that lilies drop pollen and something as simple as your cat walking through or brushing against the flower leads to the pollen being present on their coat/paws. It is common for cats to ingest the toxin as they clean themselves.
Best practice would be to avoid having lilies in your home if you have cats. If you receive as a gift, cutting out the stamen can reduce pollen drop and therefore some of the risk but remember, all parts of the lily can be harmful.
What to do if you think your cat has been in contact with a lily:
Call your vet and bring your cat to see us ASAP – the faster we act the lesser chance of lasting damage or fatality.
Some early signs of lily poisoning could be:
- Loss of appetite
Please call ASAP if you suspect your cat is unwell and has been in contact with lilies. Our teams will be able to advise on the the steps to take in the crucial initial hours.